View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2013, 10:07 am   #20
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 17TG100U first light

I can report that after five hours viewing, the set has been stable, both holds stay rock solid, no loss of height or width.

If I have to be critical, the top linearity is slightly out (expanded), there is no 'top linearity' control on this set, just an overall linearity control, this was adjusted along with the height control, for the best overall results on test card C, there is a slight buzz on the sound at high volume, but this is down to the signal strength from the Aurora, I need to find my attenuator, as I have had this problem before....

It really bought back memories of my childhood, I spent all evening watching Steptoe & son, On the buses and Carry on cabbie, very nostalgic too see the glow round the mask!

I will give it some more use over the next few days, the picture quality is excellent, the tube really is top notch, the contrast & brightness controls are sitting around the halfway point, the LOPT seems fine, I ran the set for over an hour before refitting the back, the LOPT was only slightly warm, and the smoother cans cold.

This set is very useable, and gives the best picture out of all my restored 405 line set's, It has put up very little resistance to being put back into use after it's long sleep, remember the 405 line system was shut down in 1985.

Mark