View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2017, 1:19 pm   #6
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Telequipment D63 - any opinions?

D63.
Yes, I have one, which I use only rarely, as the 15Mhz Y bandwidth is a factor when working on MF circuits. For which I use a Telequipment D75 (portable version of the D83, 50 Mhz) or a HP1707B. But the four traces you get by using two V4 plug ins can be very useful indeed.

The makers specification for the D63 is 15Mhz. I have not yet done the upgrade of the Y Amplifier output stages to increase the bandwidth from 15Mhz, suggested here by I think by Mark Hennessey.

The tube is a curiosity, and unique. A Mullard special job, type 95470, apparently based upon their E14-100. It is electrically equivalent to the English Electric E720B. but without the storage mesh,

It is interesting that Tektronix should have bought in the E.E. tube in the DM63 in preference to their own patent storage tube which is used in the DM64 (making it a singularly unpopular scope apparently).

The DM63 storage version is a real pleasure to use, and most useful when using a wobbulator. You can set the persistance to stop the flicker from the low speed sweep, but can see immediately the results of any adjustments. Vastly easier than using the fashionable digital scope, where you have to wait for the screen to be painted in full. I never use my digital for that job.

I would endorse what Mark Hennessey and MotorbikeLes say. The high voltage resistors should be replaced immediately with Philips metal glaze VR25/VR37 series. I have posted comments about this in the past, in relation to the Telequipment models D83/D75/DM63.

Be prepared to clean under PCBs where secured to the chassis. These serve as the ground connection, and there is often slight corrosion between the copper board and the aluminium chassis. Can be a most elusive fault.

I made up an extension cable for the plug ins with a piece of Veroboard and a PCB connector, 0.15inch spacing, single sided, 16 way, including one blank slot.
You will have to rummage, as Veroboard available now is 0.1 inch spacing. You may have to get a copper clad board, and cut grooves in the copper.
So also the Connector. Usual now is 0.1", or for HP and US equipment, 0.156". That you won't be able to fabricate. I can let you have one, for which you will have to reposition the slot and trim, but it is the 0.15" required.
The manuals for all the models and plug-ins mentioned seem readily available, but I have them all if you are stuck. And the CRT data.
wme_bill m0wpn

Last edited by WME_bill; 10th Feb 2017 at 1:43 pm.