View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:30 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Scrapyards to visit?

Under the broad heading of scrap dealer, some members may recall "Mac of Morley" who owned a shop on the famous Meadow Lane (Leeds) selling 'radio surplus'.

In the late 60's I had a Saturday/holiday job with him, working in both the scrap yard at Morley and the shop. I recall him buying a mountain of No19 sets, some of which were absolutely new and unused, and all sold at 39/6d.

There were huge quantities of transformers destroyed to enable recovery of the copper. I also recall him buying some huge industrial ovens in order to acquire the platinum contacts from them, but I never found out if the effort required to remove the relays proved very profitable.

Of course, the 60's came before the 70's and so came before the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act. All I'll say in that context is that my experience of various Saturday jobs made me convinced in later years that the 74 Act was much needed.

B