View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 5:38 pm   #23
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Scrapyards to visit?

From about 1973 to 1993 There was a yard about 1.5 miles away. The owner Ron and I became firm friends. In the early days there was a lot of ex RAF gear around. Mostly from local bases. Cranwell often used to dispose of large amounts of household kitchenware. By the time it arrived, most was pretty dented or further damaged than original reason for scrapping. I still occasionally use a very heavy solid aluminium frying pan, complete with government stamp and part number.
Another time, he had the remains of a Lightning jet (i think) that crashed on the Wash marshes. Another time, the very small bits left after a Harrier crashed at Wittering i think.
He would often show me tender lists and ask my opinion.What was it likely to contain?
Once he had a load of missile scrap, powder blue outer metalwork with the various electronic modules mostly built in 90 degree blocks with a rounded edge to sit inside the shell.
I used to collect the red anodised sub assemblies as I was told they were part of the arming and detonation circuit!
You could often see mag alloy wheels and hydraulic leg struts together with bits of engines, oxygen equipment, aluminium offcuts from repairs all lying around in disarray.
How I wish I kept some bits!
One day, I took him to what was IIRC the pay section of the RAF at Swanton Morley to view some scrap computer racks.
I was driving. Upon entering the base without question, we drove around and ended up at a rear fire exit door where he tapped on the glass and asked if they could help! Such was security back then.
Another outing with him and his lorry was somewhere on a hillside near Royston where there was an obsolete transmitter to dismantle and collect. It was heavy!
For my labour, I kept a Parmeko 1000 0 1000V 250mA transformer. The pa stage had a pair of silver plated rods with worm drive for tuning. VHF sort of frequency.
As time moved on, the MOD tenders all finished.
He was always wheeling and dealing and got to know one of the Proops brothers, who had a depot near Peterborough I think. I have a keyring from them, "Mountstar Metals" or similar.
Scrap he bought from there was loads of Lansing Bagnall fork lift truck electrics and electronics. Some huge power fets. Many hours spent dismantling.
Whenever he visited RAF bases he was always asking if they had any unwanted spark plugs around. I found out why when helping him remove the platinum tips!
His workbench usually had a dish with conc. Nitric acid in it with some little bits of gold, all that was left of some relay contacts or whatever.
When he died, the yard was levelled and is now wasteland near the bypass.
I still see his son occasionally (he worked with his dad for maybe late 60s to mid 70s). He has a real interest in WW2 aircraft. But, like me, never kept anything that passed through his hands.

After then, I immediately got to know another electronic waste dealer who lived nearby, about 8 miles away. We became friends, but all deals were only on a business basis, with vat added as well!
His was a different league. He employed about 5 people and gear came in by the lorryload. Either pallet cages or bulk tipping trailers. His storage building had half an acre under cover. A year or so before, it had been almost full to a height of about 8 feet with mostly electronic scrap. And I never knew.! When I first arrived there was only about 50 tons remaining.
I also met John of John's Radio there once.
This particular "depot" as the Londoner owner called all his sites is a story for another time maybe. I don't want to stray too far OT.
The point I am trying to make is to get anywhere at such sites you really need the trust and friendship of the owner. A little advice helping them to understand maybe how they can make more money never goes amiss. But in a tactful way. The odd little assistance mending something for them for free maybe as well. Try to make it so you are welcome at any time.
Unfortunately, a lot of yards are now under the umbrella of large organisations and like others say, you are just not welcome anymore for numerous safety, legal and financial reasons.
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 23rd Jan 2020 at 5:54 pm.