View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2019, 10:42 pm   #14
James Duncan
Pentode

Default Re: Antenna recommendation for 40 and 80M bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by budkor22 View Post
Thank you James. Yeah, it seems simplest and cheapest option. I was a bit weary about using balun, because it could be tricky tune for some part of the band, even if it could be resonant on some. Also I have seen where antenna has good SWR, but it wouldn't radiate efficiently, so it was not making any contacts.

And Fan dipoles could be configured as inverted V under some situations, I suppose.

I was reading up about the Doublet, and was a bit wondered if the twin line feeder coming into ATU might radiate and cause RF feedback problems? But then I recall some people using Doublets were putting strong signals on 40M without sign of RF feedback or distorted audio.
You will have no rf returned if you correctly cut your dipole.
SWR only occurs when the antenna is unbalanced or you tune out of band,
The antenna plays no part in audio quality, that depends on the settings in the rig.
if you use ladder line or window line you would need a matchbox matching unit ( tuner) to alter the impedance back to 50 ohms, ladder line etc has various impedance depending on the spacing, 200 and anything up to 2000 ohms.
ladder line terminated into a matcher does not radiate.the old 60's matchbox and heathkit tuners are the best for ladder line.the newer tuners are not at all as good.
However if you carefully make and prune a trap dipole you will have no problems at all.it can be nearly any shape but straight seems best.