View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 10:35 pm   #34
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Single-ended Transistor amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
Probably a subject for another thread, but I think the AUY10 was a remarkable device for its time.
I think the most remarkable to-3 germanium power transistor, especially for speed and high voltage applications, was the 2N3731, if you look up the specs it is quite an astonishing device by Germanium standards. It was designed by RCA for H deflection output stages in low voltage portable TV sets, as were other AU series transistors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
I think perhaps the biggest problem with small SE sand amps today will be speaker efficiency!! "In auld days" speakers were routinely 95 dB or so. Today a 12" speaker can handle 1000 watts RMS ( or so it is claimed) and maybe 82 dB/watt. That equates to some very big heatsinks !!!! not to mention battery grade cable to handle the idle current.
I agree but I think these SE amps ideally should be kept in the range of 5 to 20W or below, and with modern speakers of that power rating, that is more than enough to fill a room with sound, bigger than that, go to push pull.