Old 24th Dec 2022, 11:21 am   #183
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: What's good about tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Surprised that nobody has yet mentioned that other big use of tapes in the 1980s, loading computer programs.

Your ZX81 or Commodore 64 was nothing without a shoebox style cassette player so you could load up Frogger or one of the flight sim games that were popular back then.

"Press Play on tape"
Used them with my Nascom setup. The only thing was that I stripped an old deck and provided my own electronics to achieve NRZ recording, which was much more reliable due to the tape saturation, rather than rely on the audio decode.
I also used cassette recorders to record and load programs for my expanded Nascom 1.

The default speed of 300 baud was dismally slow so I upgraded the tape interface to a Cottis/Blandford high speed interface (basically copying a construction article in Wireless World I think).

Getting it to run reliably at 2,400 baud was tricky, found it ran best using my only Hi -Fi deck at the time a Aiwa 1250, on a good day could get it to run at its max speed of 4,800 baud.

Many years ago I sold the Aiwa which I really regret now, it was only a budget deck, but I loved the styling and it gave really good results.

David