View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 10:35 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Servicing PCBs compared with wired chassis

Split from this thread, a discussion has started up about the relative ease of servicing PCB-based radios compared with those using the conventional point-to-point hard-wired chassis.

Before becoming involved in vintage radio I did lots of repairs on printed circuit boards, in TVs, radios and general electronics. In the last 10-15 years though, I have worked almost exclusively on conventional chassis, but a few recent opportunities to repair PCB-based sets and test equipment has reminded me how relatively easy it is to effect an 'invisible' repair by changing components on a circuit board compared with a hard-wired chassis.

I admit to taking my time when replacing a component on a PCB. I usually snip out the component on the top side, then unsolder the stubs of wire from the board. I also use a solder sucker, good quality desoldering braid, and a variety of soldering irons of appropriate size and wattage, and I take care to clean out the hole thoroughly. I rarely if ever have problems with lifting tracks. I also ensure that the leads of the replacement component are pre-bent to exactly the right spacings to fit the holes, and clean and/or tin the leads before attempting soldering.

This question isn't designed to be provocative, in the sense of a "hard-wired = proper vintage = good" versus "PCB = modern stuff = bad" argument. It's just that I find I can repair a PCB a lot quicker, more easily and end up with a neater-looking job than working on a conventional chassis, yet I enjoy doing both equally. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts