View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 10:45 am   #72
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: FM to AM Converter?

I've recently bought another batch from China. To date, I've just used one and it's fine, so hopefully the rest will be. I've only had one that didn't work, but the module didn't fail - I did! That was my first attempt and was due to the difficulty of soldering to what is a surface mount device with the solder pads on the underside - not on the top. Hence, my decision to mount the module 'upside down' on Veropins beneath the PCB, with the solder pads visible.

Clearly it's possible to successfully solder wires into the ten slots on the module and to use strip-board and that's what the Guy Fernando the designer did, and others have also successfully done, even though the pitch of the notches differs from the 2.5mm spacing of strip-board, so it calls for some dexterity, a steady hand and a good eye.

When I look these remarkable little modules - less than half the size of a postage stamp - it puts into perspective what a monumental achievement it was that almost half a century ago, with such relatively primitive, heavy and bulky electronics and limited computing capacity they had, that they were able to land astronauts on the moon and get them back safely to earth.