View Single Post
Old 18th May 2018, 11:46 pm   #71
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: TV system differences?

Purely as an aside but regarding my posts at 31* and 54*, the Bexhill Observer reports today that Hastings [5 miles away] has put in a bid to accomodate one of the proposed three re-locations for the Channel Four organisation. This is based on J L Baird living there in 1922 [briefly before returning to London] and blowing up the Shopping Arcade. They are always quick to capitalise on that incident.

Unfortunately, Bexhill gets a bad deal generally in terms of local government representation. Hastings has a John Logie Baird Wetherspoons pub [there are a few around the UK]. Now, Bexhill has a Wetherspoons as well but I couldn't persuade them to "twin" it in some way despite JLB living here for seven years and dying in 1946, just when he would have demonstrated an innovative electronic colour tv system. "You don't know what you've got till it's gone!" Jony Mitchell.

Dave W

PS. I notice that my posts have now reached 3,500. Please don't be fooled [I'm sure you aren't]. This does not represent any technical competence or false modesty. i just happen to have an eclectic [magpie brain] interest beyond the technology, nothing more. If I devoted as much time to the soldering iron, I would merely be trying to catch up [in a futile way] with those those on here that I regard as entirely gifted in terms of restoration work. I wouldn't manage it-"too many other interests".

I once had a book on Cybernetics with a cartoon of Leonardo Da Vinci. His job application photo changes to gloom when it's stamped with that phrase. It's there were any similarity ends of course!

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th May 2018 at 12:13 am.