View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 4:53 pm   #84
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Hi,

I've just become aware of the "MSNTV2" box, aka "RCA RM4100". It's a US "internet TV" box which runs the WinCE operating system. Inside it's basically a PC, though; and it appears that with some BIOS reflashing and other hacking about it can be persuaded to run Linux.

There's some information here

I'm going to see if I can get hold of one and try to get it running the MythTV front-end; and of course try to get 405-line out of it. Whether I can get 405 out of it remains to be discovered; either way it could potentially make a nice diskless fanless MythTV front-end box for the living room; meaning the back-end machine with the hard drives and tuner cards can be located somewhere else, cutting down on noise in the living-room

If I get one and get it working, details are likely to appear on the forthcoming FotH website as yet another platform which could be used. In the meantime I would advise waiting until I've got one going before anyone wastes their money on one - I don't know yet what I can make one do.

Also; I've discovered there are binary releases of the MythTV front-end for OS X - I have a Powerbook here and intend to try this out later. Again, this is a front-end only; you still needs a Linux PC with hard drives and tuner cards somewhere on the LAN running the MythTV back-end. I'm going to be looking into the possibility of persuading Mac graphics hardware to output obsolete TV standards as well.

Just thought I'd let you know what I'm up to, since I've been a bit quiet recently

Regards, Kat