View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 10:30 pm   #14
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Aldi Special Buy - Canon IXUS 185 camera

SWMBO actually owned the first metal-bodied IXUS I ever saw, and it was the 'original' digital IXUS which didn't even have a model number, just the name: IXUS. A beautiful, solid, precision-machined little thing. I think she still has it.

Following that I had an IXUS 430 and IXUS 500, and still now use an IXUS 750 built from the best parts of three such cameras. Its predecessor failed when the plastic gear on the focus motor split from the shaft to the outside edge, leaving the camera unable to focus. Annoying.

Nick, I wish I had your luck in charity shops. All I ever see there are old Minolta and Konica film cameras, along with the odd Polaroid instant 'Land' camera, the ones where you had to develop the photo by warming it in your armpit.

Buying a second hand compact digital, you never know whether the CCD sensor and lens gears are going to be full of sand from someone's beach holiday, and the batteries... I would always assume that, if greater than two years old, they will be in decline. I would automatically factor the price of a new, probably third-party battery into any such purchase.