View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2006, 1:21 pm   #6
Jim - G4MEZ
Tetrode

Default Re: Homebrew Reverb Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
Hi Jim
As I remember, they had a strip of metal with a stereo turnover cartridge - maybe TC8M or H. Instead of the stylus, there was a straight steel wire sitting on the notch where the stylys was, and attached to a piece of fire element spiral as a spring.

If you noved the cabinet when powered up without locking the reverb, is made a noise like a hundred dustbins being dropped down a lift shaft!
That's interesting Mike, I'm very tempted to try one of those piezo ones! How was the fire element spring excited?

I know the fantastic noise a rattled tank can make. During my development I had the tank resting on our tumble drier when a cup of tea was brought out to me. Cup placed down on the drier followed by the most almighty and deafening reverberating clang from the amp as the springs rattled Another great experiment is to feed a radio programme into a reverb unit. The result is pretty interesting...

Adi, I'm in the opposite camp and just love my clean tones and that is one thing I like about mine, it's as clean as a whistle with a very ethereal (sp?) quality to the reverb. There is just nothing to compare to the sound made by a spring reverb.

G4MEZ