View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 6:19 pm   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: More Chinese AM radio kits

I forgot that on the HX 108 the can colours are slightly different. I would refer to Shango69's build of one on YouTube.
I was drooling over that tasty signal generator he has: Yum yum.
He took the HX 108, the HX-6B, with a tasty hot-rod Arvin transistor set for comparison on weak fringe signals to a abandoned mining settlement. I don't remember the name of the original video of the DX trip. There's bits tacked onto the constructional videos, but nothing of the HX-6B and HX 108 side by side.

Has anybody else here bought one of those KX-168 kits?
I won't say where from, since they are only a intermediary.

I thought that it must be my incompetence that is why I have had such a poor success rate with these kits. It is reassuring that I find others have had the same poor luck with them.

I assume that the AM-FM kit Davewantsone made was the Paensonic. I always found the AM side appalling. I assume it is due to the proximity of the copper-clad PCB affecting the Q of the coil because everything is squashed together. The case is somewhat like a Sony, the number of which I do not know.
The weird name is seems chosen to make you think of another major brand. The FM side does work, but the tuning is like balancing on a knife edge which is placed on the beam of a see-saw.

There are other AM-FM kits & they use a really fine-pitch IC you have to solder to the rear face of the PCB rather than it insert in a socket. It is at this stage I think i'd need a Antex soldering iron specifically for small work or needle-point bits for my 25W Weller iron. The IC does everything and there are few other bits apart from the coils for the AM IF strip. I don't know there is a discrete audio driver & o/p stage or not.

Is there anything people usually have good luck in making?

Last edited by Neil Purling; 10th Dec 2018 at 6:34 pm.