View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:59 pm   #46
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: 'Danger Man' aboard the estuary forts (Radio 390)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Will whoever mentioned Sing Something Simple (with the Addams Family) please stand in the corner?
Back in the day I'd have much rather been listening to Radio Caroline than the Light Programme but on a Sunday afternoon car ride with a Philips Portable on the rear shelf the Light was all that would penetrate - especially in the midlands. Nowadays Sing Something Simple and Semprini Serenade take me wistfully back to those long gone sunny summer afternoons out with my parents.

A couple of years ago I found a Cliff Adams CD of Christmas Songs in a charity shop. We played it during Christmas lunch and our little gathering (who were once with-it groovy young things) really quite enjoyed it - it made a change from Slade's screaming Noddy, that dreadful dirge by The Pogues and whatever rubbish was being served up on TV. I find the great thing about getting older is I no longer find any need, or indeed any desire, to appear cool and trendy.

I would have skilfully skipped past Radio 'Strictly for Squares' 390 on my Philips Popmaster, however, as I said upthread, if it were around today I think I might enjoy it. Radio 390 v Zoe Ball: No contest!