View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2023, 2:15 pm   #27
RetroHacker
Diode

Default Re: Video 2000 tape interchangeability and reliability questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I had a look at the processor board and the backup battery isn't in too good a shape, but not particularly leaking badly (yet), but I did wonder whether it had leaked and caused any damage to the print and socket etc. There was still 1.7 volts across it with the board removed, so although not in a good state, it's not totally duff. I probably ought to have removed it altogether, as I suspect the machine would still function without it, however, I left it in and put the board back for the time being, there was no leakage damage to the board, picture below.
I can't speak for the VR2022, but the VR2020 runs happily without the battery installed at all. My VR2020's original system control board was completely destroyed by battery corrosion. While technically I could repair it - it would take hours and dozens of jumper wires to patch dissolved traces. The VR2021 I have, the head drum is ruined by corrosion, but fortunately it's system control board battery had not leaked, so I was able to use it's board. I cut the battery out preemptively, however. The machine runs just fine without that battery installed, I think it's only purpose was to remember the time and program settings when the power was lost. I would say at this point, that it's a good idea to remove any of these batteries still lurking in machines before they leak - or to clean up and limit the damage if they've already begun. Leaking batteries are also a huge problem in my other hobby of collecting vintage computers. Pinball machines and arcade games too. Either nobody thought we'd still be trying to use this stuff in 30 years, or they didn't realize the batteries would leak. Well, they at least outlived the warranty period