View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 11:43 pm   #17
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC BRT400 receiver.

It does indeed- I expect that in many sets the fact that the RF assembly is underslung from the main chassis is concealed by decades of dust and tarnish but removal of around a dozen screws around its periphery and the disconnection of a similar number of wires plus release of the tuning drive (and no doubt one or two other things that I've omitted!) allow it to be removed. At that point, it's only "quite large" and "quite heavy", i.e. vastly more manageable than the complete chassis! A whole lot easier to root out the Micamoulds, gone-sky-high composition resistors, etc. When I overhauled mine, I further removed the screening panels on RF and oscillator sections that face the IF strip so as to drill and fit them with a row of feedthrough capacitors in the appropriate places for all the heater, AGC, +150, +250 etc. rails, feeling that this made re-connection easier and neater. OTT, really, but it was a case of "while it's all out, it's only a few more minutes work". It also made it easier to access the IO valve bases and their components while they were removed.

Crossed with m0cemdave!