View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 11:53 am   #78
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

Quote:
Other than Golbourne which is still 3 hours away there's no benefit to being part of a society it's just about magazine subscription.
I tend to agree. As someone who first joined in '77 and my last time was around four years ago, I wasn't really seeing much benefit from being in the society. The magazine is certainly a well produced, glossy journal. Now call me long in the tooth, but having read about hundreds of restorations, much as I have tried, I no longer possess the depth of interest or the need to read thousands of words about how someone stripped a basket case radio chassis, got it re-painted or plated, re-stuffed the capacitors, re-built it and now it looks and sounds like new. I'm not knocking that at all, and I can see that it probably does interest the majority of readers. And you may well say, take away that and what do you have left? and you're probably right, not a lot. But we're all different. I'm now at the point of getting rid of old magazines and certain ephemera, my interests largely being getting my head down into my own restorations, which at the moment is 70s hifi and not really embraced by the BVWS. I also enjoy interacting with others on forums of which there are many that cover my wide range of wireless/audio interests.

The auctions are also a long way away from me, so again, I 'pass' on those. Also, as we all know, there are online auction sites now, and like many I buy from those. Granted, not always ideal or without risk, but I can pick and choose and wait for what I'm looking for to come up.

So for some people, a perceived lack of interest in the BVWS does not mean they have a downer on it (far from it in my case, long may it live and prosper), it's just that they and the world around us have changed and the fit is not good any more. Is that a reason for the BVWS to change then one might ask? I certainly don't expect it to change to suit my needs, but if it did, I'd maybe have more interest and a desire to re-join.