View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 7:07 am   #25
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Help with Tandberg Model 15 2 Track

Sorry to step in like this, but I recently refurbished a model 15 so it is still in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOfBremen View Post
I noticed that the speed change switch was working when I first opened it and now the pin has fallen out like they all do.
It's very common for the pins to fall out, because the plastic piece they're lodged in tends to develop small cracks over the years. But it can fairly easily be remounted, using for instance epoxy glue, and if it had gone missing you could replace it with a small-ish screw (I think M2.5), again sealing it in place with epoxy.

Quote:
Play functions but is noisy. I wonder if the flywheel bearing needs lubricating? I believe this is a pig to get off. Is there a quick and easy short cut to this? Thanks.
Noise during playback is most often due to the rubber on the idler between the motor pulley and flywheel getting hard. To a certain extent it can be alleviated by sanding away the outermost layer - I usually take a piece of fine grained sandpaper and hold against it while the machine is operating in play mode at the highest speed, together with a vacuum cleaner to catch the resulting rubber particles.

The flywheel bearing is seldom the culprit when it comes to noise, but it can gum up, causing the flywheel to drag. You're right, it's an absolute pain to remove, as one has to separate the top sub-chassis (with the heads, volume controls, etc) from the lower chassis, and that is clearly not intended to be a routine job, there are all sorts of mechanical linkages and cables that need to be undone. You can often get oil into the lower bearing though by putting a drop of oil on a long thin screwdriver, and reaching in from the front of the machine.

Others have tried softening rubber with glycerol, but I've yet to try it so I don't know how well it works in practice.

On the subject of the Rifa cap on the tag board on the transformer: since it is connected across the motor switch and not the mains itself, it will not cause the flames and smoke for which the Rifas are so known, but it will cause the motor to run permanently when the machine is on which obviously is quite useless.

BTW, the 1968 date on the transformer indicates that this machine is relatively early in the production run - I think it was the first model year (it appeared in the 1968 Tandberg catalog but was not in the 1967 one).