View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 8:37 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: What is the worst VCR to work on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
G deck or the Charlie for me…. Still have nightmares! ��
Odd how many engineers mention those two. Working at Philips I went on training courses for both of those and although the Charley was quirky, it was a breeze to fix with the right repair kit. Likewise the G deck that Philips used was slightly different to the Panasonic version (some gears from the Philips didn't work in the Pana) but again I could strip and rebuild one in about half an hour, possibly less with the number that I saw. Doubt I could do it that fast now. I actually did quite well with private repairs on both of those decks as others kept away from them......

What about the Philips Turbo deck? The main thing engineers got wrong with those was the main cam which could be different between models. You had to order the right kit for the particular model or you'd end up in a terrible mess with other gears sheared or a totally jammed deck.....

I still have a Philips VCR fitted with the G deck, rebuilt by me about 10 years ago. It worked when I last used it.....