View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2021, 1:07 am   #11
resurgance
Triode

Default Re: Hickok 539b bias gauge

Hi thanks for the replies,
Jordan the static suggestion was great, unfortunately no change in needle position. I did have some spray there too.

Andrew - agreed totally! I do think I am fairly observant and careful but I have to say with regards to these older units there are a LOT of pitfalls. I wear wool as opposed to static generating clothing etc but some of these meter movements almost need a dedicated clean room and watchmaker precision. I wanted to find out more about what I was getting into before opening and irreversibly altering the action. Currently it is smooth and seems to be linear - but offset by 2.5v.

David this meter is one with no obvious means of opening apart from working around the edge and prying the folded over edge of the meter outward while fighting the adhesive that seems to be still present. I have experienced this in other things and this may not be the same, but they aren't really easy to reassemble to the same tight fit. Once something has been flared it almost needs a custom die set to get it back to a point where it can sit flat against the panel without then forcing the lid off again. That old thin pressed steel is quite springy. The side of the meter if pried off would look rough visually. And I just can't get one of these meters they don't seem to come up on ebay etc.

The front of the meter is wrapped around the edge of the body - which to me means there is some form of gasket in there. So if I attempt to open it I can imagine the shrapnel of this gasket will end up in the meter movement. They are so delicate! This just ends up reaffirming my awe of watchmakers and those that work in the macro and micro. Scale is an interesting thing.

Am tempted to offset it or measure it externally using a DMM while tube testing and leave the meter be.

Cheers and 73
Stew Thorp
ZL2VA