Octode

Default Re: Marshall Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Bell View Post
Here are some pictures of an early Super Lead Plexi 100w I once owned. The amplifier components are mounted on a turret board and the power supply caps on a (thick) matrix board. The electrolytic caps are 32uF RS Components and there is an RS bridge rectifier mounted on the end of the chassis.
Yes, turret-board. I notice that your amp has those knobs that looked nice in the clear light of day, but were just about impossible to work out where they were set on a dark stage. I've been there and done that myself on a home-brew guitar amp .
Colin.
"Those knobs" are what are used on current Marshall amps and have been for decades now - as you know Colin, I'm sure. But anyway, aren't Marshall users supposed to turn everything up to 11?
I haven't worked on a lot of Marshall amps, but I was sure that there were some that had the early metal nameplates with the red lettering and had bigger knobs with rather more obvious index lines. I understand that those small knobs are typical of Marshall, but I would have thought that once people saw that the other knobs were more convenient, Marshall would have at least used them on some of the later amps, but maybe not the "re-issue" models. Perhaps by then all the performers had fried their brains with the loudness and didn't really care where the knobs were adjusted to.
Colin.