View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 12:37 pm   #39
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs radios View Post
If I were you I would just buy a whole load of new tubes whilst you can get them and carry on with your existing lighting scheme. I have to admit I really hate LEDs just because it's all eco carp. Anyway back on topic my own shack/workshop is lit with 2x36 watt tubes on proper 50 cycle ballast which also has no PFC condenser just a suppresor cap across the mains. Fortunately it's never caused any problems but why did your fittings weld the switch contacts? Can't understand that one. I also have one fitting of 40 watts on HF gear which causes a little RFI, but not a real problem.
The reason my 10 fittings wrecked the first mains switch, was (A). Because the switch was a nasty cheapie from a DIY store with inadequate contact rating/contact clearance store, that wasn't a 10A X type, and (B). Because there were no PFC capacitors the back-emf from the combined inductance of the multiple chokes was sufficient to cause a huge spark across the contacts.
The existing fittings, although well-made were intended for domestic use, i.e singly. The manufacturer saved a lot of money by not fitting the power factor caps.