View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 1:50 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Just bought another 300-series 'phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
So what’s your opinion? A 1950s, non-GPO instrument that’s been converted from CB to auto in the 1960s?
Pretty much. Nice find though, Nick! Not being GPO issue, there wouldn't be the record keeping, administration and evidence associated with modernising telephones. It's not like it's a 'wiped-up' GPO instrument where it's been sent to Wales or wherever for upgrade. But a nice telephone nonetheless.

That said, I have a 710 Telephone (ex-GPO) with 'CB' stamped on the base, yet it was very much in service as an automatic when I acquired it. I understand that some telephones were converted 'on the spot' without being refurbed and re-labelled.

I think the designed-in economies of scale and interchangeability of parts means that it's perfectly acceptable (and more common, for whatever reason, than you might suppose) to have a 'bitsa' as opposed to an instrument that is as it was manufactured. Especially given the ubiquity of the 332. I'd be inclined to fit a No:10 or No:12 chrome dial if I could, though.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.