View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2020, 6:18 am   #6
Grasut8
Diode

Default Re: CR-70A receiver Checkout

Hi,

Radio 1950: Glad you liked it.

G6Tanuki: I agree this is not a receiver for amateur comms. For one thing, most amateur bands are only a quarter of an inch long on the scale - so tuning a station is very precise. The markers for each amateur band are only a guide.

You need to have the IF gain turned well down, the aerial trimmer carefully adjusted for max signal strength, and a fairy-like touch on the main dial. With care, single sideband signals can be resolved. Morse is much easier. Very sensitive and low background noise.

I didn't find much drift after 10 minutes from switch on. Remarkable really, considering there is no precision VFO with carefully selected temperature compensatiing capacitors in this radio.

It's intended for general coverage. 0.5 to 30 Mc/s of fun listening is quite an achievement.

Restoration73:

Thanks for the info - very interesting.

Reelman:

The Mark 1 had the valves mounted on the chassis, and used a full wave valve rectifier. The Mark 2 has valves and components mounted on a pcb, an oblong S meter and a half wave silicon rectifier. I think I would have preferred a Mark 1.

All the best,

Graham