View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2020, 10:38 pm   #24
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default Re: Video of last manual exchange in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
See attached from a 1980's telephone directory for another overseas location where they were still 'winding the handle' in the 1980's.

And you still couldn't dial all the UK telephones in the UK until 1990! I once gave a talk on 'Preserving Strowger' to the IBTE Section at Whittington House, Oswestry in the mid 1990's and one of the managers present tod me all about the hassle BT had had from rival companies who were able to claim 'BT was not fully automatic yet but we are'! BT went to great lengths to 'end the era' of manual telephones in 1990!
Is that telephone directory excerpt from the Falkland Islands? I am cleverer than I look! "Stanley" in one of the entries gave it away as that is the capital of the Falklands. And I do remember the Falklands having to be connected by the International Operator, likewise Ascension another British Overseas Territory, until fairly lateish in the automation of the world's telephones.

It was BT themselves who said that STD was completed in 1979, the vast majority of UK telephones were diallable from each other by then.