View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:56 pm   #15
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Dismantling LOPT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post

I would add that there were many differing types of Ferrite core make up, the types identified by the letters FX prefixing the type number. They were a product of Mullard.

but you may well discover that the breakdown was instigated by rotting interleaving tissues, an age problem that even Philosan could not fortify! John.
Hi John,
As usual, an interesting insight into the world of '50's television technology:- if you could just download the contents of your brain onto this site, that would be great! I had to Google 'Philosan' and, being born in the '60's, am too young to remember such things!!
This core, like that of the Pilot transformer, has an FX number. The core dimensions are very similar. Interesting that it's a Mullard coding system. There was a rectangular mark on the end of each core leg, suggesting there had been something like a paper spacer, but there was nothing obvious left apart from some while powder: maybe that was all that remained of it!

I had good success with my Pilot transformer removing the wax with white spirit so I will try the same technique with this one. Hopefully I will then be able to see where the failure is and maybe effect a repair.

English Victor: Thank you for your input. I had a feeling somebody ( undoubtedly HCS!) had mentioned that it was a Ferguson chassis. I had wondered myself about removing the coil former as that seems to be where the problem is. I will know more after I have removed all the wax.

All the best
Nick