View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2020, 11:52 am   #363
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: Recreating the Bywood Scrumpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoupat83 View Post
don't be mad where's the English humor
of course scrumpi is not a successful system a little amateur low cost I think it has made a little bit of success
to program in binary what a galley and to light leds!
I think that the creator of this series was with a small team at the very beginning of computers.
He didn't have the support that Clive Sinclair had much more business with two genius engineers and the way was paved for the idea of a hobbyist kit.
but I love my MK14 martin.
And finally it's giving MJK back some of the glory.
maybe the scrumpi3 would have surpassed the mk14 it was already announcing the zx80
but then that's English history.
I think that it may have given the ZX80 a run for its money in the general market as well if he had made it able to run NIBL early on (after all the SCRUMPI 3 was available in March 1978 at least a year before) his real competition was the NASCOM. Why he avoided NIBL I don't know probably the eye watering cost of the NIBL ROM's and all his language is around placing it in the industrial space for control and development. As you say it was only him from an engineering perspective and his wife (Jane - probably her who signed the letter EJK) for Business admin. His volume was low as well and he would not have had the Capital or standing to pull down large volume part supplies to get cost down.

Last edited by Timbucus; 5th Jul 2020 at 11:53 am. Reason: minor typo