View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2020, 9:50 pm   #270
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: Recreating the Bywood Scrumpi

Well I received the Board from Phil (Thanks) so set about building it and a suitable PSU.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3407.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	208419

Struggled to work out why the PSU board started smoking (not connected don't panic)... I will leave finding the short as an exercise for the reader. I actually could not work it out at first and unsoldered half the bridge rectifier...

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	208418

Anyway all tests seem to indicate it would work with IC2,3 and 4 in I could generate reset, single step and slow pulse running. D7 with RUN/HALT down is held HIGH and can be pulled low by the switch etc.

All the pins on IC1 socket test as correct and I get a rock stable +5v and -7.01v from the PSU. So I plugged in IC1 and all others except the Memory. On Power on all the data lines are lit but no address lines (I have only wired up two as the in line resistors on the LED's are a bit fiddly to make...)

Name:	IMG_3412.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	208421

anyway RESET does not create address one. D0-D5 are 5v high but, D6 and D7 look like barely 2v. No clock signal on the X1 line from the capacitor either.

Anyway 40 odd mins of head scratching and probing seems to have achieved little - then there is a 5v or so oscillation on pin 40 and pin20 - IC1 gets very hot and so do the two regulators. Seems it may be game over for this chip... maybe it was faulty anyway.

PSU and all other chips test fine once IC1 is removed. So I will check the wiring very carefully. It is of course complicated by the need to have made a switch board as I did not have any of the little mini PCB switches that would fit.

Maybe I need to order a few more SC/MP chips - that is assuming they are not SC/MP II that have been skimmed and reprinted... in which case I could be burning out good ones of those in pursuit of the SCRUMPI.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3420.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	208420