View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2020, 9:30 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Vintage military style transceiver help

The transmitter looks to be a VFO type with the VFO in the compartment behind the speaker (variable cap below decks.)

Wonder what the PA device is? THe TX valves look 1590s types

The modulator is dead centre. Looks like a push pull pair. 6AQ5/EL91 or 6BW6 I'd guess. The speaker drive transformer is a long way from the modulator. I wonder if it has a separate audio output stage rather than messy switching? That bigger metal bottle at bottom left could be a 6V6 or 6K6.

So, I think the transmitter and receiver are quite separate, and they are from different era. The valves in the TX/modulator being post WWII into 1960s types, while the receiver uses lare thirties into WWII types.

If you go hunting through likely magazines to find either it or its inspirations, the TX and RX may well be separate.

Lots of WWII surplus bits, and very very well built for the period. Someone knew what they were doing. Someone who also had a sheet metal folder unless the chassis is a group of off the shelf chassis which may be more likely.... build a receiver, then later add on chassis to complete a modulator and transmitter?

David