View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2020, 12:09 am   #2
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: Bad or odd cosmetic repairs or upgrades you've encountered

Here's one I have recently dealt with. It's a Pye P76F which came in a job lot of sets from another forum member. Sadly, at some stage in the past, it had been painted a rather vivid shade of yellow! The finish was very rough as well although it had been done thoroughly. The cabinet had clearly been dismantled to do it.
I tried to strip it off and had some success but sadly the paint had sunk in to the grain of the veneer. I also found a number of areas of missing veneer that had been filled. Perhaps this is why it was painted in the first place. As it was already in a poorly way (also missing knobs, back panel and two valves) I decided to have a go at sanding it all back and repainting it in a slightly more 1950s colour scheme. I was pleased with the results and even found a set of the correct knobs in my spares which I painted to match. I added bluetooth to the gram input and replaced the valves. The end result took a lot of time and cost far more than what it's worth (twenty quid on two new valves!) but at least it lives again.
No doubt in another fifty years somebody will take one look at it and think 'What on earth did they do that for?!'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200426_114342.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	207702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200523_203942.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	207703