View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2020, 12:24 am   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips SBC850 Multimeter

I can now see from post # 6 where you think there are 4 brown bands, I am not so sure myself.

Some of the other resistors look like they have 6 bands and others 5 bands, so the burnt resistor could be a 5 or 6 banded resistor but the sixth band is a temperature coefficient value, so it does not matter in terms of the resistance value determination.

From your high resolution photo my old eyes are still struggling with some of the band colours on the various resistors, but from what I can determine they do not obviously appear to be similar values to the Philips UTS-001 circuit resistors.

If the burnt resistor does have 4 browns bands with a band in-between, then that would mean the resistor is 11X (first, second and third colour band digits) multiplied by 10 (4th brown band = the multiplier of 10) where X could be anything between 0 and 9.

In this example the most logical colour for the middle band would be black (0) this then would be 110 multiplied by 10 which is 1.1kohms which is a preferred (standard) resistor value. The 5th (outer/last) brown band being a +/- 1% tolerance band.

But resistors in DVMs may not be preferred values, i.e. they may be special values to suit the meter calibration.

Have you tried measuring the burnt resistor to see if any resistance value can be measured ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Band_Resistor_Color_Code.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	201575