View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 6:42 pm   #9
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Just bought another 300-series 'phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
So what’s your opinion? A 1950s, non-GPO instrument that’s been converted from CB to auto in the 1960s?
Pretty much. Nice find though, Nick! Not being GPO issue, there wouldn't be the record keeping, administration and evidence associated with modernising telephones. It's not like it's a 'wiped-up' GPO instrument where it's been sent to Wales or wherever for upgrade. But a nice telephone nonetheless.

That said, I have a 710 Telephone (ex-GPO) with 'CB' stamped on the base, yet it was very much in service as an automatic when I acquired it. I understand that some telephones were converted 'on the spot' without being refurbed and re-labelled.

I think the designed-in economies of scale and interchangeability of parts means that it's perfectly acceptable (and more common, for whatever reason, than you might suppose) to have a 'bitsa' as opposed to an instrument that is as it was manufactured. Especially given the ubiquity of the 332. I'd be inclined to fit a No:10 or No:12 chrome dial if I could, though.
The Dial is a Siemens made one dated 1961. I (during my days with God's Poor Orphans in the 1960's) used to look after a telephone system which had several hundred CB phones on it - older ones were 300 type and newer ones were CB 706's. I used to keep a stock of CB phones on site but if we needed an auto phone, we'd just fit a dial rather than go through the hassle of getting an 'advice note' and ordering one from the Stores. Hence you'd find telephones that had started life as CB phones but ended up with dials fitted as it had been added.

Bear in mind that the phone is more than likely been in enthusiasts hands for at least 40 years during which time many pats could have been changed. During my 'Plessey' days from mid 1970's, it was rare to find a Bakelite telephone on a PAX system as most were recovered and changed out for 700 style phones. Can't think where we would have had a CB phone unless it had been just for incoming calls. I looked after Plessey systems in the northern half of Wales plus the border counties can't remember seeing a CB 300 type all the systems in that area.

Far more likely to have been modified in its 'preservation' era.

I've just had a dozen or so 300 types arrive - some still in original boxes which I've got to sort out, check and probably convert. It will be interesting to see just what they are. Some other phones came with them including one made by 'British Insulated Helsby Cables' from whom 'Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company' was their offshoot that produced automatic equipment. There seem to be few BIHC phones about - only other one I've got is a GPO Tele No 2 made in 1910 - stamped with the GPO's 'H' manufacturer's code which was in existence before ATM came into being.

Ian
ex-GPO Telephones
ex-Plessey Communication Systems (originally 'Communication Systems' - AT&E's PAX sales/rental/maintenance subsidiary)