View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2019, 12:31 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Switch is very hard to turn .Trio 9R 59D.

This sounds like one of those cases where 10 different people have 11 different approaches, but I'd be inclined to use just a trace of petroleum jelly, e.g. Vaseline, applied to the balls with a screwdriver tip, and a trace of light spindle oil to the point where the spindle enters the threaded bush- often there's a circlip here. A bit like clock mechanisms, rotary switches are best with just a sparing amount of appropriate lubricant in the right place. Otherwise, excess lubricant just becomes a dusty paste and may eventually seep into contacts, especially in warm-running kit.

I recently worked on a piece of kit with one of those co-axial rotary switch and potentiometer shafts, they had seized together and nothing would shift them- spindle oil, Gunk release fluid, heat, leaving for days. In the end with nothing to lose, I stripped the switch assembly to its bare mechanics and used an engine valve spring compressor to separate the shafts- there was a graunch, judder, judder and a very rusty inner shaft emerged for a thorough polishing, lubing and re-assembly. The fun of vintage kit....