View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2019, 11:23 am   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: [Restoration AND Light Modification] Murphy 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
BA bolts are readily available on e-bay bur you may have a hardware shop in your area who stocks them. Measure the diameter and check with data tables or find a tame model engineer. Get washers to fit.

An isolating transformer should not cost a lot. I picked a RS one up at a show in Birminham for I think £4. It was plenty heavy enough to carry home. I recently bought a bigger one from the local amateur radio club, I may have gone wild and paid £1. It needs to be opened and the earth wire disconnected. You could try asking for one in the wanted thread. Always use an earth leakage trip, I have them all over the place.

I don't think I've ever seen a BA bolt, though they may exist. Plenty of (set) screws though.

Isolation transformers are very handy to allow connection of earthed test equipment but any earth leakage trip on the primary side will then do nothing as far as the set is concerned. You would need to earth one side of the secondary and fit the trip between the TX and the set for any useful effect, but then you're back to square one safety wise anyway though you could still use grounded test equipment.

Be wary, stand on an insulating mat and never let both hands near a live set! Remember that getting yourself across the HT on an isolated set can still be deadly.
.........O..Chris....O