Thread: HMV 582 Options
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2019, 11:30 am   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default HMV 582 Options

Hi All,

I've just acquired a lovely HMV 582, the bureau style 30s radiogram. I'm mulling over what to do with the cabinet and wondered what everyone's views were and what might be possible. I will post some pictures in due to course.

The cabinet is a bit tatty, though thankfully seems structurally sound and survived the trip home and getting it into the house (god its heavy!).

Some small pieces of veneer missing, some badly repaired (grain in wrong direction ). Small bits near the base will definitely need replacing, which I'm happy to do.

The finish shows lots of checking, and in patches the protective varnish has chipped away completely, plenty of dents and scratches etc visible up close. Some sections are pretty good, others like the top pretty rough. I guess its not too bad for an 82 year old machine that's probably been in many garages or less than perfect storage conditions in its life.

I'm leaning more towards cleaning up and improving what's there, and fixing the missing veneer pieces. I have some furniture restore solution that's worked well for me on other pieces, but of course wont do much where the lacquer has gone from the top. Im sure it will do wonders for the better panels.

I suppose what Im asking is, what other options there might be, short of refinishing that aren't furniture restorer, wax pens and polish?

Can anything be applied over the top in some places to blend in with the top lacquer coat?

It doesn't have to be perfect and is quite charming as it is, I just think it deserves to look smarter

Best Regards
Adam