View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 12:42 am   #1
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default output valve choice

I'm getting closer and closer to my eventual goal of building a really cool and original looking stage amp. However, i think the more i know about valves the more difficult it gets.

I have allredy got a transformer, which is 300-0-300 @170mA (but it looks big enough to do more...perhaps it can be pushed to 60W).

It also has a 5V winding and a 25.2CV winding. No 6.3V winding unfortunatly.

The HT supply is not TOO bad, and will probably be pretty loud. And with that 5V rect heater windong it means i can use my favourite rect, the 83. The 83 will do up to 225mA, so no problem there.

But what output valves do i use?

I thought 807's would be really cool. After all, they are suppsoed to be big tough etc. But after some prototyping i realised that an 807 actually doesnt look that amazing. They are big and stuff, but dont glow much.

Maybe i can use 4 smaller valves. That woudl also add a nice use for the 25.2V winding. But what ones? 6v6's and EL84's are too small, and i think will look stupid on an amp with a huge transformer and a 83 rect.

So, as usual, i need some suggestions for suitable output valves. Maybe some big triodes?

I guess a good alternative are 813's. Theya re huge, glow alot and have considerable power. But for them i will need another power transformer (microwave transformer possibly?) and allmost cirtenly a solid state bridge rect. They have 813's in valve and tube supplies for £15 each. The heater supplies are 10V @ 10A i think, which is abit big but nothign too bad for modern transformers.

Any other wierd and wonderfull output or tx valves out there that are worth considering?

Thanks.