View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 7:47 am   #45
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Quick-and-dirty testgear: mains voltage monitor.

The circuit splits just after the meter: the cooker (along with lighting and ring-main outlets) is on one consumer-unit, the voltmeter's on the other one (which serves all the radial circuits and outdoor loads).

I know I've got a good low loop-resistance: following some repeated issues with trees last year SSE (the DNO round here) installed an underground cable from the substation to the pole opposite my house - a nice new length of 3-phase SWA, about as thick as my arm. They are going to return sometime soon to replace the current separate-wires-on-insulators overhead span into the house with an ABC [Aerial Bundled Conductor] because the separate-wires arrangement is a bit old. I'm not taking a 3-phase supply (they charge extra for that) but it's nice to know that it'd be easy to provision if I did want it.

if I did go 3-phase then I could have one little LED-voltmeter for each phase! (they're available in red, green, blue, orange). I think three of them would *just* fit side by side in a double-width box.