View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2018, 8:29 pm   #1
nmiddlemass
Triode

Default Sony SL-C20 - Issue with Play FF RW

Hi,

I've recently been fortunate enough to get a Sony SL-C20UB Betamax Recorder. Cosmetically it is in great condition but a bit grubby after years of storage.

After an examination, the unit powers up. It accepts a tape which laces up well.

The issue with this machine is with PLAY, FF and RW. In all cases the machine starts to work but after a couple of seconds it stops. I have visually checked the pendulum and to my eye it looks OK and engages as it should (I think) on each operation.

A separate problem which may be connected with the issue is that the tape appears to look a little slack after it has been through the pinch roller (apologies if that is a dreadful description). Also when ejected the cassette ejects from the unit but the tape is not wound tight in the cassette body and it gets very slightly caught in the mechanism and tape door.

I've seen on another site some possible causes around a silicon fuse but this is working fine.

I can only assume it has something to do with that pendulum.

If anyone has any experience of these machines and could possibly give me some pointers I would be grateful.

Many Thanks.

Neil