View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2019, 5:07 pm   #63
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Nostalgia? Probably.

Quote:
... my aim with vintage electronics is to try and get it working with h.t. line voltages as close as possible to those given on the maker's original service–sheet, it has been my experience, that valve (and transistor in some cases!) voltages, tend to be noticeably higher, sometimes as much as 50V over, on a typical valve radio h.t. line, which doesn't do elderly valves & components a lot of good!
Chris, you seem to be saying that it is your experience that HT voltages are, in practise, as much as 50V higher than as stated on manufacturers service data. I've never found that to be the case (50V) and I have to say, if that is the case, and it is not as a result of fitting incorrect, different value components etc, then simply, it is 'the way it is'. I don't think that valve HT line voltages are that important so long as everything is working properly and don't forget, back in the day they were probably measured using a moving coil instrument with a relatively low ohms per volt. The instruments we use now - even an AVO 8 - are higher ohms per volt and will read nearer the actual value, one that will be higher than as obtained using a low ohms per volt vintage meter. Personally, I have always used voltages shown on circuit diagrams as a guide, not to be taken as, 'if this is not the voltage, something is wrong'.