View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 1:28 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Short Wave listening

Hi Dave,

If I start by saying that I built a two-valve TRF around 1968, then that suggests we were running quite close. I had a lot of fun with that radio!

However, Amateur Radio has changed so much since then and it's hard to know where to start. But I'll begin with the "invasion" of Japanese equipment in the 1970's. Before that, people were building their own, or modifying ex MoD stuff or ex-radio telephones. Now you could get good modern gear at modest prices off the shelf. About the same time there was major shift from AM use to SSB among amateurs. I think many became disillusioned to some degree, and perhaps that's why some now enjoy restoring vintage radios.

Another change since ~1970 is that the magazines have either gone, or morphed in to rather different animals. I cannot remember when I last bought any of the surviving mags

If you've just come back to ham radio, spend a little time re-discovering it and see if you can find a niche(s) which attracts you. Activity on top band is generally low, but there are local hot spots.

B