View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2020, 10:17 pm   #69
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: NCX-5 powered by NCX-A keeps blowing fuse

The PSU problems seems have been sorted out. It was receiving really nice for about an hour before the band selection wafer switch was arching with smoke.

The rig needs good through clean with switch cleaner on all the controls and switches and maybe a few burnt / leaky caps and resistors need replaced.

I feel it is getting somewhere now. The P.A. looked very healthy, when in TUNE mode, it was growling with some serious RF power. The life is there in the TX.

Thank you so much for all the info and advice, which were vital to bring the rig back to life. I was not sure if it will even power on ever, first time when it arrived. It looked unused for about 30-40years at least.

And it sat in the shed for the whole year forgotten until I saw it again after much rain and some dampness got into. Rescued them and dried with towel, and then in dry warm air for a few days, and started working on it.

Yes, it is running on a 110V step down transformer. That thump noise in the start has disappeared now. It seems the PSU HV problems has settled down itself. Now the rig itself needs get sorted.