View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2019, 3:52 pm   #36
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: 13 amp fuse for 1.5mm mains flex?

Personally, I tend to fuse down to the requirement of the equipment at the other end of the plug. A lot of my plugs have 1A or 2A fuses in them, as the equipment itself often has no fuse. 'Fusing down' takes nothing away in terms of protection, but can add some (across-line RFI capacitors failing short-circuit, for example). But an extension lead, I'd fuse to the rating of its cable, as I don't know what could be plugged in, and nuisance fuse-blows are a pain. And, switch-on surges (motors, big incandescent lamps, degaussing coils) need to be considered when selecting fuses (you can't get anti-surge in 1" mains-plug fuses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
Fuses go in to plug bottoms, not their tops.
No, the plug top is the whole plug part that plugs into the plug bottom (if you like) which is the wall socket, so the fuses go into the plug tops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
There has been an epic thread on another forum regarding the significance of the term 'plug top' meaning 'plug'. It has been in existence for a century although now confined mainly to the electrical trade and considered archaic. My proposition, which has as much support as any other, is that it originated from the historical practice of specifying and supplying and a plug and socket as a pair. Sockets were often installed to serve a particular appliance, which itself was supplied without plug. Hence, the matched pair of components, and in an architectural context the socket alone, was listed as a 'plug', 'wall plug', 'switch plug' etc. When considered separately, the detachable part became the 'plug top'.
And of course, the thing on the wall with a switch and 3 small slots, is a 'plug socket.' Any estate agent will confirm that.

And the thing that's 0.25" diameter and has a sleeve and an end electrode and goes into a hole, is a 'jack plug.'