View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 1:18 pm   #4
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Setting up a Betamax VCR to record Freeview and from my DVD player

Hi Ryan,
Be thankful it hasn't got SCART: a horrid interface which caused me all sorts of problems & call outs from customers in the past!! BNC /phono gives much greater flexibility.
It's very unlikely you will be able to get signals OUT of the freeview tuner in your TV. You will need a stand alone freeview box.
Using a SCART to BNC/ phono lead, you can connect the output of this to the video / audio IN on the VCR. Select external input on the VCR.
Connect the VIDEO OUT BNC of the VCR to the SCART input of the TV using a second lead.
Connect the audio out to your Hi Fi.
You could be clever and route the output from the freeview box and the DVD player via a SCART switch box- you could then select which device to record from.
VCR playback on flat screen TV's often does not look anywhere near as good as it did on a proper analogue 4:3 CRT TV. This is partly because the poor quality VCR signal does not digitise well and partly because the much higher definition of the flat screen TV shows up the very low res VCR pictures!!
Also be aware that SCART to BNC leads come in either IN or OUT formats depending which way you want the signals to go. You can get switchable ones which are handy.
I have used VHS Hi Fi machines as audio recorders in the past using small VHS C tapes. We termed this the NAF audio format - Nick's Audio Format
Hope you enjoy the machine
Cheers
Nick