View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 12:07 am   #55
dalgwcobl
Pentode

Default Re: BSR Record Player Decks

Can I add the modified UA15 fitted to the Pye 1005 Achoic Box? It had the counterbalanced arm with special decoupling mounts and Zenith butterfly pickup.

Also the Minichanger in various guises. I have two of the original versions, one 240v mains powered, in an Irish-built portable player, the other one is 9v DC, as used in the mains/battery Fidelity HF34 in my recent thread.

I remember that Elizabethan and Ferguson used minichangers in tall, slim stereo players in which the changer folded down out of the box.

A single player which comes to mind was the P182, which Dynatron used in a number of Music Centres, made in King's Lynn in the late seventies. They were Philips, Pye and Boots (the chemist!) branded, as well as Dynatron, the Dynatron fitted with a Vernitron V100 magnetic cartridge, I think. That would have been the one fitted to the SRX32 chassis someone referred to recently.

Towards the end of BSR's life, in the late seventies, they started re-badging ADC hi-fi turntables in moulded plinths and perspex covers, as BSR Quanta models. I have one of these somewhere. It's direct drive, with a sophisticated s-shaped tone arm which tracks a Shure V15-II at 1.5 grams or thereabouts. I used it for some years with some high-end hi-fi and it was an excellent performer.

Lastly, what about the OEM BSR single player used, amongst others, by Fidelity in the HF42? Someone mentioned recently that the HF42 seemed to have been designed with a battery chamber, used for storing the mains lead on mains versions. Has anyone ever seen a battery version? That would use a 9v DC version of that turntable unit.

I'll try to upload photos of these tomorrow.
dalgwcobl is offline   Reply With Quote