View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2019, 6:38 pm   #7
zawoblondon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage TV with RF modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
It could be that the output level is too high from the modulator, have you tried turning it down a little?

Post a picture of the back of the set with the connections so we can see exactly what goes where.

The TV could of course have a problem or misadjustment in the sync or tuner I suppose. Try adjusting the vertical or horizontal hold controls, usually on the back of the TV set.
I have tried turning the output and video levels up and down. It only affects to the noise of the image, but the two shades of grey still appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
My first impression is that the TV is seeing an unmodulated video carrier. Your hook up seems right so first set the modulator to produce the internal test signal. See from the manual what is expected. If necessary use a second TV to confirm that the all is well. Make sure the test signal is then turned off.
The test signal is working. I can see two vertical white lines over a black background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
The screen image looks like a possible test signal that the modulator generates to make tuning-in the television easier. I wonder if it generates this in the absence of a video input or whether there is a switch somewhere to select the source. Is the TV receiving sound signals from the modulator?
The TV makes some beep sound when the modulator is on test mode, but no sound on normal mode.

In normal mode (not test) the TV shows the same image whether the DVD is connected (and on) or not. The DVD works as I tested it in a different TV.

I attach an image of the test signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test_signal.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	193149