View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2019, 1:06 pm   #58
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes MR10

While I'm waiting for the replacement for the 12AT7 to arrive I've moved on to to other areas that need attention.

1. Speaker Grill

I've removed, cleaned and re-sprayed the speaker grill which was in desperate need of some TLC as much of the gold finish was in very poor condition.

In my Post #1 in this Thread I mentioned the article "It Came From Outer Sidcup" by John Ounsted in the BVWS Bulletin volume 24 number 3 Autumn 1999 - in this article the author offers the following: -

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190929_111200.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	191028

Despite my best efforts I only managed to save one of the plastic pegs when removing the metal brackets and, initially, couldn't understand why? Then I noticed that a tell-tale circle of glue also came away indicating that at some point in the past these plastic pegs had been stuck back on: -

Name:	IMG_20190929_111034.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	191024

Don't know why this was done as there are spare, unused pegs. Good news for me though as I can utilise these unused pegs when refitting the speaker grill!

2. AM Aerial

I can also revisit the wired up external aerial - I'm assuming that this is an add-on and not something K-B rigged up themselves. This wire is connected to one end of the ferrite rod, see here : -

Name:	IMG_20190928_175017.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	191025

The KB Museum Service Data notes "A short picture rail type of aerial will not in general give improved results over the internal aerial and may in some cases give rise to increased interference."

I also need advice on what these symbols mean - there are associated with the P.U. Sockets: -

Name:	IMG_20190928_173034.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	191029

3. FM Aerial

The KB Museum Service Data also notes "For V.H.F. reception an internal plate aerial is fitted and the connection to this is a wander plug lead which should be plugged into aerial socket (A1 left hand socket on A-E panel."

I do have the little gold pip which appears to have been used to connect the internal plate aerial (aluminium foil) on the inside of the set - although the short length of wire attached to the wander plug is too short to plug in to any of the sockets on the back of the set:-

Name:	IMG_20190903_214323.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	191027

The internal plate aerial is not attached at this time.