Thread: "Butt" 'phone
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 3:44 pm   #30
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Default Re: "Butt" 'phone

I have no knowledge of how the system works in the UK but in Australia the calling party number is available if caller ID is not barred. If the called party has a phone that shows caller ID then a return call can be made. I have not seen any butt phones that have that facility but they may exist.
To get the number of the caller who had barred caller ID would need access to the computer system that runs the system and does the billing. That sort of stuff is heavily guarded here in Australia as there is The Privacy Act which is federal legislation and the legal implications for the phone companies would be horrendous if they were to allow any way of avoiding caller ID by anything less than a court order to a law enforcement organization.
Doing installs and cable work for us it was "just don't go there at all" for any of the weird stuff. My ability to earn a living was much more important. Many years ago I had the company of a couple of Federal Police with me when I was doing a cable cut over in Sydney to make sure I didn't do anything naughty. There was a couple of officers in my mates pit further up the street. We were cutting over an 1800 pair paper insulated subs cable. Seems there was a few sensitive consular phone lines in that cable. I didn't mind as the coffee and food they bought for us was pretty good. Bit sad when we were finished and they left.
OK I do not want to get off topic with this stuff.
Cheers, Robert.