View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2020, 10:06 pm   #13
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Vortexion reel to reel tape recorder Wva series 5 schematic

Thanks Bill good to know. Yeah that rubber wire they use is horrendous stuff def prone to go brittle although on this one all is fine and I checked all wires via my shallcross just to make sure no breaks, shorts or low inductance in the wires. Only two needed changing one next to rectifier well it was basically touching it gone brittle and exposed wire the blue cap completely melted put 1.5kv in there. Had to change out a couple resistors gone way high and the 500r had overheated at some stage. So been lucky really in vgc.
Funny enough I have a couple pieces timber to do what you mentioned. The capstan wheel takes about 30 to 40 seconds to completely stop at 7 1/2. Noticed on base of fans there are felt pads do they need oiling. Not sure why there there.
She was bit noisy on the meter that spins but thats all settled in now nice and quiet.
So just want to check the HT and heaters then read instructions and get a tape running. Did not also realise that the dummy head can have a stereo unit in there might get one as you have the left and right stereo outputs on the side on the unit. Sure there's some around. Got plenty of gear to hook it upto.