View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2021, 3:16 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Ferrogaph 2A ampllifier hum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
(I couldnt upload the video - whats the criteria?).
The forum doesn't support video uploads. If you 'Go Advanced' at the bottom of your post, and choose 'Manage Attachments' you can see the list of maximum file sizes for different file types. A jpeg for instance will be compressed to 800 x 600 with a maximum file size of 200kB.

I have uploaded videos to Dropbox and then posted a link in my forum post in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
The other caps are mainly TCC metalmite/metalpack although there is also a paper cap at C10 (50mfd). The smaller value non electrolytic I believe are mostly harmless (or am I wrong )?
When restoring my 4A, I injected a signal at different points after sorting the DC conditions, and discovered quite a few resistors out of tolerance, as well as failed capacitors. The forum's general consensus appears to be not to fix what isn't broken, rather than the American trend to blanket-replace capacitors. I found most of my TCC capacitors to be failed through leakage at working voltage (I have built a Practical Electronics Magazine leakage tester, which measures leakage current at up to 630V), but my machine was a Freecycle find and in poor condition.

I use this to remind me: "Steps to first powering on old equipment", but take a more test-first approach when it comes to electrolytics. The canned ones in my Ferrograph are a similar age to yours, and I've only had one failure so I don't agree with replacing without testing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Steps To First Powering On Old Equipment.pdf (625.5 KB, 47 views)